This week at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo, the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) announced that Disney Parks, Experiences and Products will receive three prestigious Thea Awards in 2023.
Star Wars: Galactic Star Cruiserwas recognized with a Thea Award for outstanding achievement.
“Main Street Electric Paradewill receive the Thea Classic award.
Tokyo DisneyMar has received the Liseberg Applause Award, which recognizes outstanding theme parks around the world.
“I am very proud of our teams who continue to delight our guests and consumers by pushing the boundaries of the industry,” said Josh D’Amaro, president of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. “These recognitions illustrate our legacy of innovation, as evidenced by projects that opened 50 years apart and awarded together.”
Disney Live Entertainment Creative Director Susana Tubert will receive the Thea Catalyst Award, reserved for an individual who has made a real and positive impact on the culture of our industry.
“I would like to thank TEA and IAAPA for these incredible recognitions and, most importantly, for their steadfast dedication to advancing our industry and keeping us connected globally,” said Barbara Bouza, president of Walt Disney Imagineering. “As our Imagineering and Live Entertainment teams continue to bring magic and inspire humanity, it’s an honor to be recognized by our colleagues and friends around the world. I’d also like to give special recognition to this year’s Thea Catalyst Award winner. year. , Susana Tubert, who continues to be an influential and inspiring leader”.
In addition, IAAPA announced that Disney Parks, Experiences and Products received nine Brass Ring Awards for Excellence in Live Entertainment, Excellence in Games and Merchandise, and Excellence in Food and Beverage.
For excellence in live entertainment, the following Disney live entertainment projects received Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Theatrical Production – “Tale of the Lion King” at the Disneyland Resort
- Most Creative Christmas/Holiday Show: “Mickey’s Dazzling Christmas Parade” at Disneyland Paris
- Most Creative Halloween Place, Show or Experience: “Let’s Get Wicked” at Hong Kong Disneyland
- The most creative multimedia show: “Harmonious” at EPCOT
- Most Creative Property-Wide Event: Disneyland Paris 30th Anniversary Celebration
“This year’s Brass Ring and Thea Awards really speak to the power of live entertainment and the consistent quality of work from the team I’m privileged to lead,” said David Lightbody, Senior Vice President of Disney Live Entertainment. “We are honored and grateful to receive these industry recognitions.”
For Excellence in Games and Merchandise, and Excellence in Food and Beverage, the following products received Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Clothing Item: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Cassette Player Shoulder Bag
- Best Good Hard Item: Halcyon Starcruiser Training Lightsaber Hilt
- Best Stuffed Item: Groot Scented Stuffed Animal
- Best New Menu Item: Chocolate Mighty Thor’s Hammer at The Ganachery at Disney Springs